The 29th Annual New Jersey Young Playwrights Contest Festival will be held on May 21 and May 22 as part of a partnership between Playwrights Theatre and Premiere Stages at Kean University. Select plays from this festival will be reprised at Playwrights Theatre’s nationally-recognized Forum Reading Series in December 2012. This reading series brings together writers from all over the United States.
The plays will be presented at the University Center's Little Theatre at Kean University on Monday, May 21 at 7 pm for the Elementary and Junior High Division winners and on Tuesday, May 22 at 7 pm for the High School Division winners’ plays. The readings will feature professional actors and directors and reservations can be made by calling 973-514-1787 X21 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Admission to the readings is free, but reservations are required, as seating is limited.
In the High School Division (grades 10-12), the winners are:
- Monster by Samuel Gelman, 12th grade, The Pingry School
- The Mystery Madame of 110 and Broadway by Emma Hathaway, 11th grade, Bergen County Academies
- Must-Read by Isabelle Ingato, 11th grade, Toms River High School East
- Disneyland by Alina Sodano, 11th grade, Bergen County Academies
- It Always Would by Emma Q. Baxter, 7th grade, Randolph Middle School
- Fame in the Family by Madeleine Granovetter, 9th grade, Glen Ridge High School
- Only Strangers by Nicole Zanchelli, 9th grade, Mount Saint Mary Academy
- Rosedale by Elizabeth Kilgore, 5th grade, St. Vincent Martyr School
- The Time Travelers by Jason Li, 6th grade, Cranbury School
- From Geek to Chic by Mollie Sullivan, 4th grade, Torey J. Sabatini School